What can you expect from the programme?
Many universities organize short programmes during the summer in a wide range of topics. All UvA students can apply directly to a physical or virtual summer/winter programme of their choice. An overview of destinations can be found in the PDF on this page. You can also check the U21 website and the websites of partner universities directly.
The aim of the U21 scholarship is to contribute to a more inclusive study abroad community, by offering funding as well as extra guidance and reflective events. Several spots are reserved for students joining the University of Birmingham, our strategic partner in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
Text continues after photo
All current UvA students are eligible, as long as you have an active enrollment with UvA during the entire programme. We especially encourage students with limited access to study abroad to apply, such as first-generation students, students with caring responsibilities or financial need, safety and health concerns, or any other experienced obstacle for studying abroad.
When and where?
The dates differ per programme. Check the website of the host institution for specifics, accessible via the overview document below. Please note that you cannot apply for the U21 Scholarship if you want to follow a summer course in the Netherlands.
How much time is required?
Most summer schools are full-time. However, this depends on the programme of your choice. You will also be invited for a preparatory event before, and a reflective event after your programme.
What are the costs? And is a scholarship possible?
The costs differ per programme. Check what costs are involved in your programme of choice (such as application fee, registration fee, accommodation, meals and visa et cetera).
The UvA offers students a scholarship to cover (part of) the costs for the programme, depending on whether you choose a virtual or physical programme:
- Physical programme: you can apply for a maximum of €2000,- euro’s to cover the cost of your program.
- Virtual programme: you can apply for a scholarship to cover the application & admission fee.
If you are awarded the scholarship, you will receive the grant only after you have received a notification of acceptance from your U21 university. It is your own responsibility to directly apply to the summer programme offered by the U21 university of your choice.
The UvA will refund the due amount, so expect to pay ahead. If this is a problem for you, let us know.
Is this a credit-bearing programme?
In most cases, it is possible to transfer the credits earned during your summer school. This depends on your host university and your current program at UvA. Contact your study advisor to inquire about the possibilities.
When and how can you apply?
Applications for summer schools are open until 3 April, 23:59 CET, or on rolling admissions basis after this deadline To apply, please use the 'U21 Scholarship Application Form' and attach your most recent official transcript in (or translated to) English. You can send your complete application to email@example.com. Please make sure to mention Application U21 Summer Scholarship in the subject header.
Applying in 5 steps
- Find a programme of your choice using the overview of participating universities on this page, or check the U21 website or partner university website directly to discover the destinations and offered programmes.
- Check the language and entry requirements and apply directly to the programme of your choice at the host university.
- Send in your application for the U21 Scholarship by email (deadline is 3 April 2022, or on rolling basis after this deadline), using the application form below. Do not forget to attach your most recent official transcript in English and letter of acceptance.
- You'll be informed about the outcome within a week after 3 April 2022.
- Save the date for the ‘Information session – Selected for U21’ on 6 April 2022, 16:00-17:00 CEST.
Join the information session!
You can register for workshops hosted by the Office of International Student Affairs to get helpful tips to overcome the challenges in applying and how to prepare.
The Office of International Student Affairs facilitates this programme. If you have any questions, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.